I am currently attending The Gospel Coalition 2017 National Conference in Indianapolis. This is my first time attending the conference, and I am so excited for all of the wonderful teaching and fellowship that is happening in the Indiana Convention Center. For my post this week, I want to chronicle the quotes from the speakers that stuck out the most to me. I will update the list each night after the conference.
The theme for the conference is “Reformation 500 and Beyond,” so six of the nine sessions are on the book of Galatians while the others are on Reformers. I have tried to post quotes that make sense even without context. Hopefully, the full talks will be available on thegospelcoalition.org soon.
Do any of the quotes stick out to you? Let me know in the comments!
Day 1 – Monday, April 3, 2017:
Kevin DeYoung (Speaking on John Calvin):
- “One of your greatest strengths will be the awareness of your greatest weakness.”
- “The Word outlasts us all. Your glory, my glory, will not last.”
- “The only way to touch anything eternal in this life is to admit that our lives are hopelessly temporal.”
Dr. Steve Nichols (Speaking on Martin Luther):
- “When the Word of God is not proclaimed, the gospel is perverted, distorted, and lost.”
- “The love of God does not find that which is lovely; it creates that which is lovely.”
- “No amount of white-knuckling can ever change the fact that you’re a sinner at the root.”
Sandy Willson (On Galatians 2):
- “Having the righteousness of Christ means having as much right to heaven as he does.”
- “There is a cure for the whole human plight, and it’s free.”
- “If you deny justification by faith alone, you nullify God’s grace and empty the cross of its purpose.”
John Piper (On Galatians 1):
- “One of the marks that you’ve truly seen Christ in the Scriptures is that you cease to be a people pleaser.”
- “If the gospel is precious to you, you will hold fast to it.”
- “People are being lured by false gospels every day, and you are in their life for a reason.”
- “Get the gospel wrong and you perish!”
- “Great teachers can do stupid things.”