John Stott (2011) lists five paradoxes of preaching.
Good preaching is…
- Both biblical and contemporary (relating the ancient text to the modern context)
- Both authoritative and tentative (distinguishing between the infallible Word and its fallible interpreters)
- Both prophetic and pastoral(combining faithfulness with gentleness)
- Both gifted and studied(necessitating a divine gift and human self-discipline)
- Both thoughtful and passionate(letting the heart burn as Christ opens to us the Scriptures) (pp.97-110)
Stott, J. (2011). The Living Church: Convictions of a Lifelong Pastor. IVP Books.