This post is part of the series Passion 2016. These are my notes.
Teacher: Ravi Zacharius
Text: Various allusions but no direct quotes or references.
Topic: Why Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
Points of Interest…
- The truth is so important that it is often surrounded by a guard of lies (paraphrase of Winston Churchill).
- There are three evaluations of truth. It must be logically consistent, empirically verifiable, and experientially relevant. Today, we will focus on the last evaluation. So on this line of evaluation, what do we see?
- Jesus alone describes the human condition perfectly.
- Jesus alone addresses the human condition by offering forgiveness.
- Jesus alone equips for suffering. Jesus conquers through the process of suffering. Christ in you makes you more than a conqueror.
- Jesus alone bridges time. He gave meaning to all of time. This is illustrated in the Lord’s Supper that remembers the past in the present while anticipating the future.
- Jesus alone conquers the grave. The proof of the resurrection…We see proof in the transformation of Peter, Thomas, and Paul. All of them were dramatically changed. Only the resurrection could explain these changes. Jesus alone outlasts the figures of history.