I am a pencil advocate; this much you may already know. But you may never have considered why pencils far outstrip pens.
Why are pencils superior to pens for reading and note taking? The reasons are many and irrefutable. (You should note I am speaking of mechanical pencils in particular).
- Pencils do not bleed. No need to worry about your thin Bible pages. Mark away!
- Pencils do not leak. I fly enough. But I never worry about my pencil leaking or bursting for the air pressure changes. I put them in my pockets and bags with impunity!
- Pencils leave permanent and erasable marks. Pencil markings will last. They mark some of our most famous national documents. And yet, they can be erased. Perfect for the changing, unchanging life of the mind in books.
- Pencils write according to pressure. Ballpoint pens more or less have one gear, that moment when the ball releases and the ink flows. Pencils have endless gradations. You can go light or dark, blunt or sharp…all depending on the effect you desire and the pressure you apply. For this reason, pencils also produce minute script quite well.
- Pencils write upside down. For a bed reader, this is key, a non-negotiable. Sold.
So what are you waiting for? Go get ya a pencil!